Parent-Teacher Interview Schedules
Jump to a section
Edsby knows about every class in the school including who the teacher is, who the students are, and who their parents are. Edsby Parent-Teacher Scheduling considers the needs of all the school administrators, teachers, and parents.
The process is in four key steps:
- Create a schedule. A school administrator creates a Parent-Teacher Interview schedule by choosing dates, times, and the length of the slot. After choosing which classes are part of the schedule, the administrator opens the Parent-Teacher Interview schedule to teachers when ready.
- Open to Teachers. Teachers block off slots they will not be available for interviews.
- Open to Parents. The administrator provides access to the parents. Parents receive an Edsby message alerting them that slots can now be booked. Parents can make their bookings and print out a summary list. If they have more than one child at the school, all students will appear on the same booking screen to assist with time management. Once open to parents, teachers and administrators can book appointments on behalf of parents.
- When the school is ready to print master lists or complete other preparations, the administrator can close the schedule to parents. School Administrators and teachers can continue to book appointments for parents.
Senior Administrator, Office (Head), Guidance, and School IT can create and manage parent-teacher interview schedules.
Parents need to have an existing Edsby account in order to receive the schedule in their Edsby mailbox. Consider inviting parents to create their Edsby account well in advance of creating your first schedule. Parents who activate their accounts can be added to the schedule, see the Open to parents section for more information.
The following information is required to create a Parent-Teacher Interview schedule.
- Name of the schedule.
- The dates of the schedule.
- Starting times of the interviews.
- The length of the interview slot.
- The number of concurrent bookings per teacher.
- Which classes are part of the schedule.
Creating a schedule
- From the home screen, click Parent-Teacher Interviews.
- Click Parent-Teacher Interview button.
- Enter the name of schedule, the start date, and the end date.
- Click Save.
If Parent-Teacher Interviews are conducted on non-consecutive days, create the schedule to include the first and last day. Days without slots won’t appear on the teacher or parent schedule.
A new schedule is added to this list.
Select the name of the schedule from the list. On each day of the schedule, click on the cell that corresponds to the starting time.
- Set the time and day fields.
- Set the length of the slots. This field is available when the first slots are defined. The length of the slots will be the same for every day of the schedule.
- Set the number of slots.
- Set the maximum concurrent bookings per teacher.
- Repeat for each day of the schedule. Dates without slots will not appear on the schedule for parents or teachers.
Example of slot creation
The Parent-Teacher Interviews are conducted over 2 days. On the first day, the interviews begin at 4:00 pm, continue for four hours and each interview is 20 minutes long. Each slot can only be booked by one parent. The form has the following configuration.
The form has the following configuration.
The second day, the interviews begin at 3:00 pm and ending at 8:00 pm. The form has the following configuration. The length of the slots does not need to be defined because the interview time was set the first time slots were created (20 minutes).
To delete a slot, click X and confirm the deletion. Prior to opening the schedule to parents, any slot can be deleted. After the schedule is opened to parents, only slots without a booking can be deleted.
Adding Classes and Groups to the schedule
- Click Classes and Groups tab
- Click the Classes drop-down list. A list of classes will appear.
- To select all classes, click the checkbox in the title bar.
- Or filter the list by using the filters or search, then click the checkbox in the title bar.
- Click Select. The list of classes will be dismissed.
- Click Add. The selected classes are added to the list.
Examples of adding classes
For grades 1 to 5, parents only meet with the homeroom teacher. For grades 6 to 8, parents meet with all teachers.
After clicking the Classes drop down list
A. Use the Grade filter to select grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
B. Use the Subject Filter to select Homeroom.
C. Click the checkbox in the title bar.
D. Click Select. The list of classes will be dismissed.
A. After clicking the Classes drop-down list click Reset to display all classes. B. Click Clear to reset any previous selections.
B. Use the Grade filter to select grades 6, 7, 8.
C. Click the checkbox in the title bar to select all 6,7, 8 classes.
D. Click Select. The list of classes will be dismissed.
Open to teachers
After the slots have been defined and the classes and groups added to the schedule, the schedule can be opened to the teachers. To do this, click on the Open to Teachers option on the progress bar.
Once clicked, every teacher of the classes included in the schedule will receive a Parent-Teacher Interview Message.
Teacher may block slots for when they will not be available due to prior engagements, or pre-booked meetings with specific parents, or desired breaks. A teacher hovers over a slot, and clicks block to remove the slot from their schedules.
Example of Teacher’s Parent-Teacher Interview schedule
A. Teacher enters the room number for each day of the schedule. School administrators can also enter the room number by clicking a teacher’s name in the Progress tab.
B. Hover and click to block or unblock a slot.
C. Hover and click to book for parent.
D. Name of parent, student, and class scheduled for the slot.
The online help for teachers can be found here.
The Progress tab is available after the schedule has been opened to teachers. The progress tab lists the current count of blocked, booked, and free classes. As parents book appointments, the counts are updated. Click on the teacher name to enter room numbers or block slots.
Administrators can enter the room numbers on behalf of teachers. Click the Progress tab, then click on the teacher’s name. Enter the room numbers and click Done.
If the schedule is set up for concurrent bookings, teacher’s will see the “book for parent” link until all slots have been filled.
Administrators can book an appointment on behalf of a parent through the Progress tab or the Parents tab. However, the Parents tab provides access to parent’s schedule which enables the School Office to book appointments with multiple teachers.
Printing a master list by teacher
Click the Progress tab and click the printer icon.
Open to parents
After teachers have had the opportunity to block slots, the schedule can be opened to parents. To do this, click on the Open to parents option on the progress bar.
Once clicked, every parent of a student enrolled in the classes included will receive a Parent-Teacher Interview workflow item in Messages. Upon receipt of the workflow item, parents can book appointments. All parents are can book appointments. For example, a student has three parents with access to records, all three parents can book appointments with teachers.
Adding new parents to the schedule
If new parent accounts are added after the schedule is opened to parents, administrators can add all new parents to the schedule by clicking Open to Parents. Confirm action by clicking OK.
Example of a parent’s Parent-Teacher Interview workflow item
A. Students associated with the parent account.
B. Click slot to book the appointment. Parent cannot book another appoint for this appointment slot.
C. Click to remove booking to cancel the appointment.
D. Click Change to change the appointment to a new slot.
E. Click Done to view Schedule.
Example of a parent’s appointment summary
A. List of teachers, classes, and room number. Room number is set by the teacher.
B. Make changes to open the appointment schedule form.
The online help for parents can be found here.
Managing bookings on behalf of a parent
School Administrators can book and cancel the booking on behalf of a parent by navigating to the Parent-Teacher Interview schedule.
- Click Parents tab.
- Search for parent name.
- Click manage.
- Click on a slot to book an appointment. Click on a booked appointment to cancel the appointment.
If the schedule has been set up to enable concurrent sessions, the book for parent link will appear until all concurrent slots have been filled.
Printing a list of parent appointments
Click the print icon to view a master list of parent appointments.
Completing the registration period
The school can close the registration period by clicking the Complete option on the progress bar. Parents will no longer be able to book or change appointments. The school administrators can continue to book appointments on behalf of parents.
When the schedule is closed, parents are directed to call the office if any changes are necessary.
Scheduled become read-only once the dates are in the past.